...there is a univeral language between women when they craft and come
together in this passion. It unites women in a place that takes them from the
woes of everyday life and provides fortitude and strength to each other through
unspoken word - it is as if each stitch taken together strengthens our bound and
friendship. Please join me on the journey and let us inspire each other........

Monday, May 23, 2011

A great weekend of accomplishments :)

I have just come back from a great weekend of sewing. But it wasn't just about the sewing! I helped to organised a quilting retreat for our local group, The Ballarat Quilters. Our location was in beautiful Lancefield at The Grange Conference centre so you could guess that we were very spoilt with food, service and gorgeous accomodation. This was the first year that I took a single room, encouraged by my friends, and I just loved it! The freedom of leaving or organising your stuff as you want it, walking between the bathroom and bedroom without embarassment (we'll leave it at that!), going to sleep and waking when you want and being able to turn on the light if you can't sleep was all pluses!

Some beautiful quilt shops in nearby Gisborne was a fantastic bonus and some lovely local shops provided us with a break and some retail therapy! I brought some gorgeous true reds at The drapery in Gisborne - hmmmm yum and will go nicely with the red/white swap I am participating in.

Sally was the first to have a quilt to show off, on the first day! I think some of it had been pre-done. This was the first year we offered a three day option - 3 days and 3 nights of sewing was just delightful!


This next one was done by "accelerator-Kym" as I dubbed her. She is so fast with machine piecing and her accomplishments, that we can't keep up with her. But she does provide us with inspiration!!


Well after that I lost track of what others were doing as I was so busy focusing on my own project. The quilt was called Scattered Stars which I am making for one of my besties - Trace - whom I have known since high school. This was my MAIN aim for the weekend, however it wasn't my ONLY aim for the weekend - I had brought several other projects besides, but they never made it out of the boot of my car. However I did accomplish a lot in this quilt with all 36 stars complete. Next is the hour glass pieces on each block, put them together, add a small border and a final pieced border. This will be my main aim in the next month to finish.






Today I am home with my youngest - missed her totally along with the rest of my guys. At retreat, I was really cold on the first night and thought it was just cold Lancefield as I snuggled in my flannel pjs, 2 doonas, and a quilt. Still not warm I felt forced to turn the heater back on. When I woke the next morning with a sore throat and headache I assumed it was from the air conditioner. I remained headachey that day, felt a little better on Saturday but Sunday was croakey again, headachey and feeling nausious. Why does this happen when we choose to stop and have some fun? When I returned home I found the rest of the family home sick too. So conclusion, it wasn't the air conditioning at all, we all obvioulsy shared a bug before I had left. How kind?! Today I can only squeek and I must have sweated 5 kg's off over night so it is time for another day at home! Pity I am not feeling well enough to continue sewing? Well off to the doctor soon then perhaps I should do a little tidying up of the weekend before an afternoon cat-nap.

Happy sewing all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment